- Use water based paints whenever possible.
- Do not clean brushes, rollers, sprayers and containers in the street, gutter, ditch or storm drain.
- For oil based paints, reuse paint thinner by setting the used thinner aside to settle out paint particles, and then reuse the thinner. Dispose of settled material by drying the residue, wrapping in newspaper and disposing in the trash.
- Paints containing lead or tributyltin are hazardous wastes, dispose of properly.
- When cleaning and stripping building exteriors, clean up the waste and dispose of in the trash. Do not allow paint chips to be washed away in the gutter, storm drain or stream.