The museum building served as the Lake County Courthouse from 1872 until 1968. Some well known events took place here, including the White Cap murder trial, Lillie Langtry’s divorce proceedings and the petition from a Pomo Indian for voting rights, the first such case won in the United States for the right of native people to vote in state elections.
Today, the courtroom is very much like it was in 1920. There is a beautiful reproduction of the original Judge's bench, restored juror's chairs and court record books dating back to the 1870's. A music corner includes an 1875 Bradbury square grand piano and a Gunn organ from the late 1800's, made in Kelseyville.
The room may also be rented for public meetings by non-profit organizations and civic groups.
Official website of the County of Lake, California ♦ ©2010 County of Lake ♦ Disclaimer ♦ Contact Webmaster