Every County in California that has one or more Superior Court Judge provides a State mandated Law Library (B & P Code §6300 et. al.). Our funding comes from a portion of court fees, not tax dollars and we will make every effort to maximize this funding to provide as wide a range of resources as possible. The Law Library is open to all residents of Lake County. It’s FREE!
Law Day, May 1st
California courts are happy to collaborate with the libraries to help celebrate Law Day. Together, the judicial branch and libraries can increase access to information for Californians, particularly those most vulnerable and in need of assistance. Visit www.courts.ca.gov/lawday.htm for more info.
2012 brings 745 new laws in California - Read more...
Codes & Ordinances
County Codes, Ordinances, Regulations, Standards, Policies & Procedures. Includes sewer ordinance, zoning ordinance and more.
Law Library Collection
With a Collection of over 7,000 books, here is a sampling of our most popular Titles:
- CA Deering's California Codes
- Rutter's CA Practice in Family Law (3-Volume Set)
- CA Forms of Pleading & Practice
- Bankruptcy - Federal Rules, Codes & Forms
- CA Jury Instructions
- CA Rules of Court
- Significant Collection of Nolo Self-Help, Softbound (See link above for Nolo eBooks)
- Witkins Criminal Law & Procedure 4th
- Witkins Summary of California Law 10th
- CEB Eviction Defense Manual
- CEB Real Property Remedies & Damages
- NOTE: All CEB Practice Titles are available online using CEB OnLAW
The following are available on our two public computers:
- CEB OnLaw - Over 150 CEB Practice Guides with cases, forms and links to statute/code; online text conversion to Word or Word Perfect.
- Lexis-Nexis Patriot Plan - Current Federal (USCS), All State Cases, Codes, Shepard's and much more. Email research results. Includes techincal support 800 number.
- Nolo eBooks - Practical Guides for "Life & Law" available 24/7 through this site from any computer of cell phone! Gain access to hundreds of full-text reference books are provided through the nation's oldest and most-respected provider of legal information for consumers and small businesses, Nolo. Click here fro free access EBSCO Legal Information Reference Center.
- Computer links to self-help programs such as I-CAN!TM LEGAL documents can help you with court forms for many areas of Law, including creating a simple Advanced HealthCare Directive!
- Links on our computers to Chamber of Commerce, news and key websites in Lake County.
- MS Office and Word Processing, including Pleading Paper Wizard.
Nolo Press has donated a full set of the latest print material in February 2012 in honor of Stephen Elias.
Thank you Nolo Press for all your help in making legal jargon understandable in plain English for self-represented patrons and attorneys. Your catalog is a valuable and necessary tool for equal access to justice.
In Memoriam of Stephen Elias
Steve and his wife Catherine have spent their whole adult lives to improve their communities by promoting social justice. Long time writer of Nolo Press books to help laypeople understand legal issues in plain English; he also did mediation and his specialty was Bankruptcy and Foreclosure.
He performed many services for our community. Among those was as a valued member of the Board of Trustees of the Lake County Law Library for several years, advocating for self-represented patrons as well as members of the Bar. He is helped us bring the Law Library into the 21st Century. He is missed by many.
CALDA.org video tribute link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBYS7soTenc
Local members of the Bar and Judiciary are allowed to check out books overnight from the Lake County Law Library. Checkout is during the last half hour of the day to be returned the following day during the first half hour of the day except for the Attorneys and Judges who are employees of the County of Lake, who may return them later in the day. Patrons are required to show State Bar Card, proof of address and phone number and reside in Lake County.
Various duplicate reference books, including several Nolo Press titles, are available for overnight lending, especially for those without access to the internet or the Nolo eBooks Datebase link.
Available upon request. Time frame is generally one week and patron will cover shipping fees. The books may not leave the library.
Books for Sale
A whole shelf of misc. US Codes, CA Codes, CEB and most recently, several Nolo self-help books all up for circulation to the public.
Suggestions and Improvements
The Lake County Law Library is here for you, to help you find the answers to legal questions. While we cannot give legal advice, we can help direct you to the resources to find an answer. We welcome feedback and want to hear of any suggestions for acquisitions to our collection or better ways to serve you.
Other Law Libraries in the Area
Napa Co. Law Library, Napa, CA, (707) 299-1201, http://www.napalawlibrary.com/
Sonoma Co. Law Library, Santa Rosa, CA, (707) 565-2668, http://www.sonomacountylawlibrary.org/
Mendocino County Law Library, http://www.pacificsites.com/~lawlib/