> Home > Government > Department Directory > District Attorney > Victim-Witness Division > California Penal Code Section Governing Victim-Witness Offices > Mandatory Services Offered
Mandatory Services Offered
13835.5. (a) Comprehensive services shall include all of the
following primary services:
(1) Crisis intervention, providing timely and comprehensive
responses to the individual needs of victims.
(2) Emergency assistance, directly or indirectly providing food,
housing, clothing, and, when necessary, cash.
(3) Resource and referral counseling to agencies within the
community which are appropriate to meet the victim's needs.
(4) Direct counseling of the victim on problems resulting from the
(5) Assistance in the processing, filing, and verifying of claims
filed by victims of crime pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with
Section 13959) of Part 4 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government
(6) Assistance in obtaining the return of a victim's property held
as evidence by law enforcement agencies, if requested.
(7) Orientation to the criminal justice system.
(8) Court escort.
(9) Presentations to and training of criminal justice system
(10) Public presentations and publicity.
(11) Monitoring appropriate court cases to keep victims and
witnesses apprised of the progress and outcome of their case.
(12) Notification to friends, relatives, and employers of the
occurrence of the crime and the victim's condition, upon request of
(13) Notification to the employer of the victim or witness, if
requested by the victim or witness, informing the employer that the
employee was a victim of or witness to a crime and asking the
employer to minimize any loss of pay or other benefits which may
result because of the crime or the employee's participation in the
criminal justice system.
(14) Upon request of the victim, assisting in obtaining
restitution for the victim, in ascertaining the victim's economic
loss, and in providing the probation department, district attorney,
and court with information relevant to his or her losses prior to the
imposition of sentence.