Fictitious Business Name
Who must file:
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in company name).
- Statement must be filed in county of principal place of business, and may also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met.
Information regarding the filing of a Fictitious Business Name Statement:
- Be certain the information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it. You cannot make changes to the statement once it has been filed. Any changes would require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees again, and publication in a newspaper in Lake County.
- When you file a fictitious business name statement, it does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The filing is for consumer protection, and is a requirement under Business & Professions Code Section 17900.
- The County Clerk's Office cannot refuse to file a fictitious business name statement because the name is already being used by someone else.
- If the business is owned by a Corporation or LLC, list the name of the Corporation on LLC and it's address as the Registered Owner.
- If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
- Your residence address (where you live) must be listed under the registrant information. If the registrant is a corporation/LLC, an address (not PO Box) and the State of Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
- All information contained in the statement is a PUBLIC record, including your residence address. Anyone can purchase copies of the statement.
- All original filings as well as new filings with a change in facts from the previous must be published. The statement must be published in an adjudicated newspaper, once per week for four consecutive weeks. The first publication must begin within thirty days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk's Office. A list of newspapers is available from our office.
- The proof of publication will be sent to the County Clerk's office by the newspaper that you choose to publish with.
- The statement is valid for five years from the date it is filed in the County Clerk's Office, unless there is a change in any information (except the registered owners address). A change requires a new statement be filed within 40 days of the change. The new statement would also need to be published.
- If you have any questions regarding the filing of your fictitious business name statement, please call 707-263-2311 or come to our office at 255 North Forbes St, 2nd Floor, Lakeport, CA 95453.
Where to get forms:
- Come to the Lake County Clerk's Office (255 North Forbes St, Lakeport, Ca 95453)
- Call 707-263-2311 and ask us to mail you the forms
- Download Form
Requirements to file:
- File within 40 days of business start date
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company)
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/LLC must include an address and State of incorporation/organization
- If a Corporation or Limited Liability Corporation, copy of your articles must be with you or a copy attached at the time of filing.
- All owners and their residence address must be listed
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Lake County (Click here for a list of Adjudicated Newspapers) or call 707-263-2311
- Publication begins within 30 days of filing
How to file by Mail:
- Complete and print 4 copies of the form (as indicated on the bottom of the form)
- Sign all copies and mail to:
County of Lake
County Clerk-Auditor Controller
255 North Forbes St
Lakeport, CA 95453
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your filed forms
- Include your payment made payable to "Lake County Clerk"
- Filing does NOT reserve the name - it is for consumer protection purposes only
- Filing is good for 5 years if no changes are made
- Any change except owner residence address requires refiling and republication within 40 days of the change
- Name must be abandoned if no longer in business by filing statement of abandonment, paying $25 fee, and publication Download Form for Abandonment
|One business name with no more than two partners||$30.00|
|Each business name included on same statement||5.00|
|Each additional owner after first two||5.00|
|Abandonment of DBA or withdrawal of partner||25.00|